Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Glory by Humility

Series: I’ll Be Home for Christmas
Message: Glory by Humility
12/27/09

John 17:1-5 (King James Version),read
Glorify: doxazō

1) to think, suppose, be of opinion
2) to praise, extol, magnify, celebrate
3) to honour, do honour to, hold in honour
4) to make glorious, adorn with lustre, clothe with splendour
a) to impart glory to something, render it excellent
b) to make renowned, render illustrious
1) to cause the dignity and worth of some person or thing to become manifest and acknowledged

Proverbs 15:33
The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.
Before Jesus could come into His full glory with the Father, He had to humble himself

1. Cast Your Cares on God
1 Peter 5:5-11 (King James Version)
5Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
6Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
7Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
8Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
9Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
10But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
11To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever
Ex: went to bay city, but then heard the salary, cast our care on Him
2. Humble Yourself
James 4:6-10 (King James Version)
6But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
9Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
10Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
Ex: Bay City, got fired, went thru bitterness to forgiveness, and restoration to re-hire process, double salary, responsibility, and marriage.
3. Servanthood
Whenever I heard this term in the past I shut off…
Ex: guy came to HC while ago wanting to speak, but not serve…
Servanthood means laying down your own ways for God’s ways, even if you think your way is better
Jesus took the form of a servant
Matthew 20:28 (King James Version)
28Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
Ex: when I was in Bay City I laid down my own ideas about ministry and served another man and his ministry as I learned.
Philippians 2:5-11 (King James Version)
5Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
The Cross draws lines between the humble and the proud
2 thieves
pride= I deserve,compares to others and says I deserve all your blessings but none of your challenges
• get me down from here with yourself if you really are the Son of God
Humility= I am on this cross because I deserve to die, you have done nothing wrong, it’s my fault-
• I take responsibility
Jesus remembers the broken
Jesus re-assembles the humble
Humility: tapeinophrosynē
1) the having a humble opinion of one's self
2) a deep sense of one's (moral) littleness
3) modesty, humility, lowliness of mind
John 17:22-26 KJV
22And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
24Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.
25O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.
26And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.
 Jesus conditionally laid down His own life for us.
 He made a choice
 Submitted to that choice as a good decision
 Committed Himself to the process, didn’t waiver, but received the promise of God by humbling Himself to get to the glory.
 The answers to many of your issues are embedded in a process of humility on the way to validation of the Glory of God.
John 12:28 (King James Version)
28Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.
God validated Jesus humility with the resurrection.

No comments: